The nasty, paranoid Harry’s Place have sunk to a new, previously thought impossible, low. Writing on yesterday’s terrible earthquake in Haiti, they write:
Among the countries sending an experienced rescue team and a field hospital is Israel. Perhaps the nefarious hidden purpose behind this will be discussed at Saturday’s Palestine: beyond the headlines seminar sponsored by Green Left and Socialist Resistance.
Then challenged on giving over more than a third of the brief comment on the tragedy to have a go at opponents of Israel, it was then added somewhat unrepentantly:
Some commenters are unhappy that I used this catastrophe to take a dig at Israel’s enemies. They may have a point, although it would be nice to see at least one Israel-basher praise Israel for sending life-saving help halfway around the world.
For the blessfully unitiated, Harry’s Place serves the sole purpose of whipping up hatred of Muslims amongst the so-called left and liberal strands of British political opinion. This is of course wrapped in many guises, but a list of their last fifteen articles (with a brief synopsis by myself) illustrates the point reasonably well:
- Google stops being evil in China (they don’t like China – so the 21st century is going to be pretty crap for them)
- Horror in Haiti (the article in question)
- If Suzanne Moore becomes editor of the Indy, I’ll er, em… (they are sympathetic to racist Rod Liddle’s campaign)
- Pro-Hamas media bias and Gaza activists block peace (“the Muslims are coming! The Muslims are coming!”)
- More Views on the Al Muhajiroun Re-Ban (some worry that the ban is good for the nutty Muslims)
- The SWP and “Horizontal Networking” (they dislike the SWP)
- British Police need some soul searching (they oppose stop and search – a stopped, Islamophobic clock is right twice a day, I suppose. Or in this case, every one in fifteen articles perhaps.)
- The blatant lies of Anjem Choudary (“the nutty Muslims are coming! The nutty Muslims are coming!”)
- Stopping terrorism is not ‘criminalising dissent’ (“the Muslims are coming! The Muslims are coming!”)
- Nothing British v the BNP (“the Muslims are coming! The Muslims are coming!”)
- Maajid v Anjem (“the Muslims are coming! The Muslims are coming!”)
- More on Moazzam Begg, Jihadism and Amnesty International (“the Muslims are coming! The Muslims are coming! And Amnesty loves Muslims, urgh”)
- Radicals at East London Mosque Again (“the Muslims are coming! The Muslims are coming!”)
- Why Does Lib Dem PPC, Masroor, Admire Galloway? (“the Muslims are coming! The Muslims are coming!”)
- BBC Publishes Tipton Three Lies (“the Muslims are coming! The Muslims are coming!”)
So pumped up are they with hate, they will go to any lengths, distort any matter, to suit their anti-Muslim, pro-Israel agenda. Ironically given their disgusting article on Haiti, a favourite refrain of theirs is to say that the anti-imperialist left seek any opportunity, however obscure or offensive, to bash Israel. It is the easiest thing in the world to proclaim yourself radical and edgy when toeing the line of the most powerful in the world.
To answer the question set, I have no problem with saying it positive that Israel has sent aid to Haiti. To avoid the charge of inconsistency, they could however end the forced starvation of 1.5million Palestinians in Gaza.